Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Shopping Hong Kong

Liz and I were short on time in Hong Kong; we had only one day to shop and we each had a list of must-dos.  I wanted to check out a couple of markets and Liz was on a quest for a perfect handbag. 

We got up early and while I headed across the Harbour to Alfie's for a meeting, Liz had breakfast in the Club Lounge at the InterContinental Hong Kong. Then we were off to The Jade Market where Liz bought a pair of dangly “jade” earrings.  After bargaining like crazy and getting a discount for being the first customer of the day,Liz paid $10, reduced from the asking price of $50. We know the stones are not real jade, but they're very pretty and the baubles were a good deal for ten bucks. I was tempted to buy some calligraphy brushes with jade and porcelain handles - very chic and only about $10 - $12 each - but we're headed to Tokyo and I'm trying to watch my luggage weight.


Next stop was Cosmos Co., a handbag store on the mezzanine level of the Kimberley Hotel (28 Kimberley Road). Louisa Chan (wife of Peter of W. W. Chan Tailor, the best in Hong Kong) told me about this shop years ago and I’m still pretty impressed. The quality of the leather bags is excellent and there are always a few styles I haven’t seen elsewhere. Don’t miss the woven leather totes – much like those Italian BV bags. After bargaining, you’ll pay about $200 and be the envy of all your friends. Unfortunately, the shop was closed so we drooled on the window and moved along…



From Kimberley Road, we took a taxi to the Prince Edward entrance of Fa Yuen Street Market; it was jam packed as always. Liz wasn’t impressed but we had fun and were energized by the crowds. I found a bracelet much like the Cartier triple bangle of white, yellow and rose gold bands. It was $15 and I pray my wrist doesn't turn green or black.


Last stop was a pharmacy I've used ever since I've been coming to Hong Kong. Years ago, I got a nasty sinus infection and was able to buy some antibiotics at Marvel Medicine (G/F, 12A Peking Road). Liz was having allergy problems and eye drops she bought cleared up the problem immediately.


Unfortunately, there wasn't time to show Liz all my favorite handbag shops, but here's a list of my best sources:


Ashneil (Far East Mansions, 5 -6 Middle Road) These bags are not knock-offs; they just happen to look a lot like the handbags you'll find in designer shops. Quality is excellent.



Maylin
(Basement of Peninsula Hotel Shopping Arcade, Salisbury Road) Woven leather bags, wallets and iPad sleeves in a rainbow of colors. They will do custom work and ship.


Cosmos Co (see above)


Tomorrow... Shenzhen!

No comments:

Post a Comment