Born to Shop fans know that Intercontinental Hotels are at the top of my list… Our BTS Asian tours always feature InterConti and I’ve never been disappointed when booking one of these gems.
I’ve stayed at the InterContinental New York Times Square and while it’s a beautiful property, I’m not a fan of the area. Really…. Where are the shops? This time, I booked the InterContinental Barclay, An East Side grande dame located on 48th Street between Lexington and Park. This hotel’s been around for decades but when InterConti moved in, renovations were made and a star emerged.
Location, location, location… The #6 Subway entrance is a couple of blocks up the street (at 50th and Lex) and Fifth Avenue shopping is a short stroll across the Avenues.
As with all IC properties, there’s lotsa deals available year ‘round and you’ll always get the best price by booking on the hotel website (www.ihg.com) – it’s a company policy. Since I was traveling in March, off-season, I snagged a rate of about $200 a night. After my booking was confirmed, I received an offer to join the Ambassador Club (see more on this below) and decided to join. Great decision! Upon check-in, I was upgraded to an Executive Room – spacious with a big flat screen TV and all the gadgets that a business or leisure client could want. A suite was offered if I was willing to switch rooms the following day, but I was very happy with the room I had (#569).
BE AN AMBASSADOR
InterConti’s Ambassador program is a good deal, even if you only plan to stay at one more IC hotel within the next year. The price is $200 for the first year and $150 for each year you continue with the program.
· Dedicated check-in desk. Avoid the crowds and come back any time for any reason.
· Single-room rate for double occupancy.
· Guaranteed room upgrade upon check-in. (Remember that suite I was offered? I booked a Superior Room and was given an Executive Room with an option to upgrade again the next day.)
· Late check-out – up to 4pm.
· Free daily newspaper and bottled water, fresh fruit and gift upon arrival (mine was a platter of pastries).
· One day of free internet during your stay. Standard rates are between $13 and $17 a day, so this is a good perk.
· One complimentary pay-TV movie per stay.
· My fave! One free weekend night at any InterContinental Hotel when you book a consecutive night at the Ambassador rate.